Re: New File Uplaoded

Subject: Re: New File Uplaoded
From: "1GDW" <>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 16:11:16 -0000
--- In  "Rich Peet" <>
wrote:
> Ok, here goes.
> Warning, IMHO assumed for all my comments.
      No need for warnings, I regard all list members as my mentors
> Can't complain about the reach of those 183's can you. Sounds good.
> The mp3 file was a bit over compressed but good enough to get me
>point across.
      I will look for options to make a larger MP3 file.  I do not
have the trained ears that the list members have so I am looking for
what you hear.  When I play the file as a wave file I hear a better
sound when compared to MP3.  Sort of like listing to a cheap fiddle
compared to a Stradivarius, the harmonics are not there and part of
the sound is missing, losing the full rich tones.

> Parabolics make bad ambient mics.
> Note that very little of the file is in stereo because very little
>is in focus.  This is true only when using split mics with no
>barrior.
         Since the distance was so long I thought the cone of focus
would be larger and give me more stereo.
> If you wanted everything out of the dishes focus to be stereo and
>the in focus targets to be mono then run a barrier like the Telinga
>uses.
          Would the out of focus separation add enough depth to the
file to make it sound fuller?  During recording I can pan the dish
to find focus but after the recording I have a problem picking out
what may have been to the side or was just farther away and in
focus.
> So why would you want to use a split mic no barrier setup?
           It was easer to design the mount.  Are you suggesting
that all parabolas should be mono when not using a barrier?
> And if Parabolics make bad ambient mics then why would I want to
>use one?
           Just trying to make the parabolic sound more like the
original location when I have more than one subject.  I also have a
hearing deficit and the dish plus minidisk amplification makes up
for the loss.
>Now suppose that the in focus Wren out there on your file was the
>rare "farblewarfer" that you had traveled a million miles through
>sedge marsh to record. And there that goose and all the rest of an
>active swamp is getting in your way. Point your dish at the target
>so one channel is loudest and record. In edit when you return home,
>invert one channel and some to mono. The example below is just an
>invert and sum edit of your over compressed mp3 file. First half is
>your original file and the second half is the "invert and summed"
>file segment. Note I can still bring the wren out in the second
>half of the file and reduce the goose and other stuff.
        This sounds interesting and I will study my Audition manual
to see if I can figure out what you are describing.  I may be back
with more questions on this one.
> Now if you want to record ambience of your great swamp take those
nice
> 183's out of the dish and use a barrier.
         I am considering a SASS mount for them, I have the mic's
connector made so I can easily remove them from the dish.

> 208kb download at:
> http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/Cone.mp3

> So in summary a parabolic, split mic, no barrier arrangement can
>out reach a parabolic using a stereo barrier with near spaced mics.
        Reach is one of my goals but I also want a more natural
recording.
Gerald White  Muscatine IA