Re: New File Uplaoded

Subject: Re: New File Uplaoded
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 14:17:00 -0000
Ok, here goes.
Warning, IMHO assumed for all my comments.

Can't complain about the reach of those 183's can you. Sounds good.
The mp3 file was a bit over compressed but good enough to get me point
across.

Parabolics make bad ambient mics.
Note that very little of the file is in stereo because very little is
in focus.  This is true only when using split mics with no barrior.
If you wanted everything out of the dishes focus to be stereo and the
in focus targets to be mono then run a barrier like the Telinga uses.

So why would you want to use a split mic no barrier setup?
And if Parabolics make bad ambient mics then why would I want to use one?

Now suppose that the in focus Wren out there on your file was the rare
"farblewarfer" that you had traveled a million miles through sedge
marsh to record. And there that goose and all the rest of an active
swamp is getting in your way.  Point your dish at the target so one
channel is loudest and record.  In edit when you return home, invert
one channel and some to mono. The example below is just an invert and
sum edit of your over compressed mp3 file.  First half is your
original file and the second half is the "invert and summed" file
segment.  Note I can still bring the wren out in the second half of
the file and reduce the goose and other stuff.

Now if you want to record ambience of your great swamp take those nice
183's out of the dish and use a barrier.

208kb download at:
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/Cone.mp3

So in summary a parabolic, split mic, no barrier arrangement can out
reach a parabolic using a stereo barrier with near spaced mics.

Rich Peet