Re: Windshields: rycote vs sennheiser?

Subject: Re: Windshields: rycote vs sennheiser?
From: "Walter Knapp" <>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 01:06:01 -0000
--- In  Aaron Ximm <>
wrote:

> Walt Knapp alludes on his M/S page to the Sennheiser being more
> rugged/tough, but I'm curious if anyone else has comments either way
-- my
> main considerations are going to be weight, reliability, etc.

The Rycote and Sennheiser weigh about the same, possably the
Sennheiser is slightly heavier.

Realize it's a combo of two items minimum, the suspension system and
the zepplin. The zepplin is slotted to fit a specific suspension. The
two parts may be sold separate or combined in a kit. If hunting used
on ebay expect to get parts separately, and make sure you are getting
compatable parts.

Rycote uses a metal backbone to the suspension with metal full rings
for the support structure. The o-rings attach to those with some tiny
plastic push pins and washers. The clip at the mic is plastic, molded
for a specific mic diameter/shape. Rycote supports the zepplin with a
soft rubber rail that's easily deformed and gotten in the wrong way
when slipping the zepplin on. The entire structure is loose and wobbly
until the two thumbscrews are tightened to squeeze the rubber rail.
The rubber rail comes in numerous lengths to match different zepplins,
 you need the correct one, or a longer one you can cut down.

Sennheiser's system is somewhat different. The backbone of the
suspension is heavy plastic, and is H shaped to take the zepplin's
slot, no separate insert. The zepplin is locked on by two plastic cams
at the ends of the rail. The suspension uses open rings that are
plastic for it's o-ring supports. It's that open design that allows me
to mount two mics in a mono setup for M/S. The o-rings simply slip
into grooves on the outside of the open ring, the central clips at the
mic are the same sort as Rycote, in fact because they are easier to
find I use Rycote clips in my Sennheiser setups. Sennheiser's system
does not have a bunch of tiny parts that are loose enough to loose.

For the zepplins, Rycote's is a light plastic large mesh that has a
thin fleece like layer bonded on the inside. The supporting rings are
thin bands, and often cracked on used ones. The zepplin is easily
deformed with even light pressure. The end cap on the zepplin uses
three tabs which are inserted in the main zepplin end and then the cap
turned to lock. Those tabs are often broken on used Rycotes.

Sennheiser's zepplins use a heavier duty supporting frame, the large
mesh is stronger, and the fill layer is a very fine mesh attached on
the outside of the larger mesh. Their end caps screw onto the body
ring. It takes a lot more pressure to deform a Sennheiser zepplin.
I've not had a example of a Sennheiser zepplin with cracked mesh or
supporting frame.

> Oh, and I anticipate that the mounts/blimps will almost always be
in a
> *vertical* orientation (side-addressing mics) so any comments on
whether
> there will be issues with the suspensions holding the mics in (!)
I'm most
> curious as well!

The suspensions are made primarily for end-address mics. Side address
will work fine in them, no problem as to supporting the mic. The
problem arises in the handle, which is not designed for holding the
setup vertical. You could get around this by holding it with a short
boom instead. See my MS page where the MKH-80 pair are side address,
to see the problem. (that suspension shown is not Rycote's current
model and only has partial rings, but the handle is the same)

Walt