Re: audacity

Subject: Re: audacity
From: "Scott" <>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:04:14 -0000
John,

You have begun an interesting topic and one that probably I would
have initiated in a couple of weeks had you not taken action.

Eric and Umashankar have mentioned some excellent features of
Audacity, i.e.  the fact that you may share edited audio files with
others using other Operating Systems as well as a tremendous basic
and free auditing program.  I'll add the suggestion that since
Audacity is an Open Source program undoubtedly it will remain popular
for quite some time as new and improved elements constantly are
added.  Proprietory software, even shareware, has a way of falling by
the way in a few years, but the odds of Open Source programs doing
this probably is not as great.  In addition, Audacity's daily user
list along with its archived messages provides a fantastic way to
explore the software in detail.

I do, however, have one problem with Audacity as it related to the
editing of mp3 formatting.  Audacity, as I understand it, does not
perform a direct edit of mp3 files but rather changes back and forth
to other formats during the editing process ---- this at least as has
been discussed in the daily users' list and archives.  The problem,
of course, being the further loss of sonic quality as lossy formats
are changed back and forth.  Currently I am experimenting with
WavePad which is designed especially for mp3 editing.  The free
version does most everything that I want to accomplish and there are
no "nags" to upgrade to their Professional version.  Wish I had their
URL to share but currently I'm beginning the day's work at the
office.  Should you want it then post again and I'll have the URL
once I return home.

Scott