Re: PIP Mics Booster Pres Test

Subject: Re: PIP Mics Booster Pres Test
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:18:24 -0500
At 3:29 AM +0000 4/16/05, John Hartog wrote:
>Thanks Rob, I found your tests to be interesting.
<snip>.

>  > My best guess at this point is that the MD mic pre is adding a
>>  consistent amount of noise between the "18" and "28" settings.
>This
>>  is totally new suggestion but it could be tested.
>
>I find it interesting that the 183 test with the lower mic pre gain
>and higher post gain reveals more noise than same test with
>higher mic pre and lower post gain

The recording made with MD record level set at "23" and boosted 10dB
in post ended up with about 1.5 dB less volume than the recording
made at Level "18" and boosted 15dB. It could be that you're
interpreting this lower volume as less noise. I added 1.5dB gain to
the softer one and I could not distinguish them in an A-B test.
There seems to be pretty much the same amount of noise in both of
these files.

>   Does this suggest the MD
>mic pres have a worse S/N at lower gain levels?

Again, I'm not detecting a significant difference in noise between
these two tests, but yes, I believe one would expect more noise at
higher gain.  My suggestion that the noise could be consistent
between the two MD rec level settings may be possible but it would be
unsual. Something is astray between the numbers and the audible
results.

>   It would be
>good to know what gain setting has the highest S/N. And also, is
>this consistent between MD models?

about mid way is typical on most recorders.

<snip>

>Why couldn't you use the NT4 through the MP2?

I didn't have the dual xlr cable required. I'd like to compare both
the NT3, the NT4 between running on 9 volt battery -> mic  input on
HiMD and running on phantom->MP2->line in HiMD. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department