Re: Re: PIP Mics Booster Pres Test

Subject: Re: Re: PIP Mics Booster Pres Test
From: Steve Pelikan <>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:41:34 -0400
I'll try, though I imagine there'll be some debate about the
interpretation of the results.

Rob recorded a ticking clock and egg timer using various microphones,
preamp gain settings, and in several cases, supplementary amps between
microphone and recorder's preamp.
The recordings were made using a MD recorder then transfered to a
computer (I take it) and their overall sound levels were adjusted so
that sound levels in the recordings are all about the same.

In one comparison that I found informative, the same microphones (Rode
NT4 XY) were used with different preamp gain settings (18 and 28,
whatever that means) then received +24dB and +20dB in "post". The noise
levels in these two recordings sound about the same to my (admitedly
inexperienced  --- plus I listened on cheapo speakers connected to a PC)
ears. I take this as evidence in favor of your (Klas's) assertion that
the preamp noise isn't as much of a problem (isn't heard as much) as the
noise from the microhpone.

In some recordings an additional +20 dB "booster" was used. I didn't
notice a lot of improvement as a result.

The quietest of all the samples was from Rode NT1A microphones, an MP2
preamp and MD preamp gain of 28. Again, I conclude that the MD preamp
isn't a problem but that the noise is primarily from microphones. (I
don't know but I suspect that these NT1A's are more expensive/ higher
end than most of the other microphones in this comparison. I certainly
think this is the kind of recording I'd like to be able to make!)

I hope this helps a little and will try to go into more detail if people
want me to. I'm also looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts
about this study and more than willing to agree that I'm just a novice
at this sort of thing!

I join others in thanking Rob for his efforts. The results were nicely
presented and I feel he's done us all a great service by making this
study available.

Cheers!

Steve P