Re: PC Line-In problems

Subject: Re: PC Line-In problems
From: "Daniel De Granville" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:30:54 -0000
Thanks Jerry,

But I've tried that too.. No matter which of these mutually-
exclusive record controls I choose (LINE IN, MIC, AUX or whatever)
with the MD pluged into the PC's LINE IN, the problem persists. MD
sound comes out through the speakers, but the REC signal is absent.

Thank you anyhow,
Daniel

--- In  "Jerry Berrier"
<> wrote:
> You probably already know this, but I'll point it out just in
case, because
> it's an easy thing to miss.
> There are both Play and Record controls for line-in.  You have to
make sure
> that the Record Line-in control is selected.
> Being unable to use a mouse, I do it from the keyboard.
> Open volume control.
> Hit alt.
> Arrow down to Properties, hit Enter.
> Select Record, then Line-in, make sure it's selected.  The
microphone and
> line-in checkboxes are mutually exclusive, so if Mic is selected,
Line-in is
> unselected.
>
> Hope this helps.

I just got
> a new computer and am not succeding since then. Maybe I'm just
being stupid
> and forgetting something very simple, but let's see...
>
> No matter which audio settings I use (on Windows' recording and
volume
> options), there is no REC signal coming into the computer's sound
recorder
> when I plug the MD in the PC's LINE IN input.  I do hear the MD's
sound
> through the speakers, however, even though in a lower volume than
I'm used
> to. I've tried changing the AUDIO OUT on the MD from LINE OUT to
HEADPHONE,
> just to check out, but it didn't change a thing. I've also
reinstalled the
> sound drivers with the latest versions available.
>
> The recordings work fine with the MD plugged in the PC's MIC
input, but then
> I don't get stereo, which I need in some cases.
>
> So, in short, I'm:
> - Using the LINE OUT setting and the LINE OUT jack on the MD (Sony
MZ-N10).
> - Using the LINE IN jack on the PC sound card (C-Media CMI8738).
> - Setting the RECORDING option on Windows' (XP SP2) and C-Media's
mixer to
> LINE IN, adjusting the volume, etc. Have tried each and every other
> recording option (AUX,  A/V), just to make sure.
> - I do hear the MD playing on the speakers this way, but get no
REC signal