PC Line-In problems

Subject: PC Line-In problems
From: "Daniel De Granville" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:16:46 -0400
Hi all,

Been facing some annoying problems lately on transferring my bird recording=
s from a Sony MD to my PC. I've done this several times before, but I just =
got a new computer and am not succeding since then. Maybe I'm just being st=
upid and forgetting something very simple, but let's see...

No matter which audio settings I use (on Windows' recording and volume opti=
ons), there is no REC signal coming into the computer's sound recorder when=
 I plug the MD in the PC's LINE IN input.  I do hear the MD's sound through=
 the speakers, however, even though in a lower volume than I'm used to. I'v=
e tried changing the AUDIO OUT on the MD from LINE OUT to HEADPHONE, just t=
o check out, but it didn't change a thing. I've also reinstalled the sound =
drivers with the latest versions available.

The recordings work fine with the MD plugged in the PC's MIC input, but the=
n I don't get stereo, which I need in some cases.

So, in short, I'm:
- Using the LINE OUT setting and the LINE OUT jack on the MD (Sony MZ-N10).=

- Using the LINE IN jack on the PC sound card (C-Media CMI8738).
- Setting the RECORDING option on Windows' (XP SP2) and C-Media's mixer to =
LINE IN, adjusting the volume, etc. Have tried each and every other recordi=
ng option (AUX,  A/V), just to make sure.
- I do hear the MD playing on the speakers this way, but get no REC signal =
at all.
- Recordings work fine if I plug the MD to the MIC jack on the PC.

Any help would be very appreciated. I hope it's not a very easy and dumb so=
lution :o)

Thanks to all,

Daniel De Granville
Bonito, MS, Brazil