Re: What Equipment Would You Buy with $1000?

Subject: Re: What Equipment Would You Buy with $1000?
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:04:05 -0600
The quiet location material (like his Ancient Forest CD) will tax the
lowest noise gear made. Do you think of the $1K as the total you'll
spend for the first several years or, possibly, as a start to a
system you can grow with (assuming you get into it)?

The components in your field and studio gear should be of compatible
quality to be heard/appreciated/used. For field recording gear, a
priority for this kind of recording might be: (1) very low noise mics
(you need stereo) (2) a mic preamp that does not introduce more noise
than the mics with a digital out (or line level mono)  (3)  a 16 bit
or 24 bit recorder that has either excellent a->d or a digital input.
This ideal field system for 24 bit stereo would run between
$5000-8000.  You can get out there are start making very useable
recordings and gaining experience with $600: 1- Sony NH900 HiMD
recorder; 2-Shure 183 mics's and 1- Sony MDR-V600 or Sennheiser
HD-280 headphones. [Remember, mic placement and timing are the most
key ingredients to great recordings.]

First order studio gear priorities might be: (1) Two good reference
monitors ($150-$300 each)  (2) An audio interface/software for your
Mac laptop ($400 - $600) (3) Reference quality stereo amplifier
($200-$300) and (4) software like equalization plugs ($100-$400).
Much higher quality components could be substituted here, but I don't
see spending much less if you want others to be able to enjoy what
you are enjoying.

So, maybe the $600 basic field rig and a good set of reference
monitor speakers for the first grand?  Have access to a PC computer
anywhere for digital downloading from the Sony HiMD recorder? Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D