Recording on a Minidisc

Subject: Recording on a Minidisc
From: "seb g." <>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:11:51 -0500 (EST)
Hi everybody,

I am frequently doing field recording for my electroacoustic music composit=
ions (acousmatic music). I usually borrow or rent a Tascam DA-P1, which I t=
hink gives a very good sound (not too crisp or clean/cold).

I am now thinking about buying a Minidisc which would be easy to carry and =
not costly (probably a used one).
I saw one with a line input the other day and tried to find the most inform=
ation about doing field recording with it.

Some of you probably use this kind of equipement, so:

- Is it true that it's better to use a battery pack for the mic and record =
trough the line input ? If so almost any low-cost Minidisc can be used ... =
?

- Knowing that some nature recordists have said that Minidisc should not be=
 used for nature recordings (that even a cassette recorder would be better)=
, do you consider this kind of equipement being more gadget-type or being a=
 low-cost solution ?

Thank you for your precious advices.

S=E9bastien Boulanger-Gagnon

ps: Have a look at these links if you are interested in Acoustic Ecology.

http://www.cdemusic.org/artists/truax.html
http://www.electrocd.com/cat.f/csr_cdr9901.prs.html