Re: Recording on a Minidisc

Subject: Re: Recording on a Minidisc
From: "digidandy" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:37:15 -0000
--- In  "seb g." <> wrote:

> I am frequently doing field recording for my electroacoustic music
compositions (acousmatic music). I usually borrow or rent a Tascam
DA-P1, which I think gives a very good sound (not too crisp or
clean/cold).
>=20
> I am now thinking about buying a Minidisc which would be easy to
carry and not costly (probably a used one).

One thing to think about when using minidisc-recorders that uses the
atrac(3) compression algorithm, particularly when using the recordings
for electroacoustic music etc., is that manipulating sounds recorded
with such recorders might result in quite audible artifacts.

I've been experimenting a little with recording the same sounds on two
different recorders, one a Sony TCD-D100 DAT machine, and one a Sharp
IM-DR580 minidisc. Doing things like transposing the sound for an
octave or two (after its been transferred to the computer) exposes the
"bubbly" nature of compression artifacts - not always, but sometimes,
 depending on the sound material.

That's why I'm currently thinking about buying a Sony Hi-MD, because
they record in the PCM-format.

(and may I heartily recommend a dual Shure WL183 mics + minidisc
setup? the Sharps are so sensitive that they seem to mask much of the
noise in the minidiscs pre-amp, and they have a lovely transparent and
open sound).

Just my opinion.