Re: 722 Sound Devices

Subject: Re: 722 Sound Devices
From: Gregory Rademacher <>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:35:45 -0600
> "Yes I do think it's a ok recorder. But it's hardly a miracle or
> unique.
> It would be a miracle if it was priced appropriately."

It has always seemed to hold true that you get what you pay for...
You can't get a Mercedes for the price of a Yugo. (or a Hasselblad for
the price of a Pentax, Walt.)

The 722 is priced appropriately, in fact it is perhaps a steal compared
to the very high end recorders like the Cantaar.. I just received mine
and it is a work of art and screams quality... nothing cheaply made
here.
One of the last posts someone asked "when has Sound Devices made junk"?

I am glad the HHB mini disk works so well and that you're so defensive
of it.. but why try to find fault with the 722 if you haven't used one?
I am a extremely novice recordist but can certainly trust Rich Peet's
assessment, and besides, I like my 722.
I think it is the wish of everyone in this group to be able to make the
best recordings possible with the equipment they CAN afford.

Greg Rademacher

On Saturday, March 19, 2005, at 01:25  PM, Walter Knapp wrote:

> From: "Rich Peet" <>
>

> > I had the opportunity to play with the new 722 last night that is
> > owned by another member of this list.
> >
> > It is a wow.
> > If you think that a small hard drive recorder must be a fragile
> > machine you will be changed the first time you hold it.=A0 I did not
> > measure the case exact but the main impact panels have to be at least
> > 1/4" plate aluminum.=A0 It really looks like it could survive being
> > thrown up against a wall and looks very rain resistant.
>
> Did you take it out in the rain or toss it against a wall while it was
> recording? Looks can be deceiving. Real life experience will find out
> the truth.
>
> I somehow doubt 1/4" plate aluminum. Way overkill and too much weight.
> happen to have some 6061 plate aluminum here in that thickness. No way
> I'd want a recorder's case built out of it. Though it might be nice if
> they used that alloy as it's more corrosion proof than others.
>
> > Although you have over 60 menu options to customize with, to record
> > with the unit from out of the box to a stereo track is under 10
> > seconds knowing nothing about the machine at all.
> >
> > There really is not a another recorder that will do what this one
> will
> > and the capability is amazing.
> >
> > The only function I saw not functional that I would ever want was
> > addressed in the manual as a future software upgrade revision. That
> is
> > to be able to direct firewire copy and/or mirror to an external
> > firewire hard drive. Currently, it can mirror to flash chip but for
> > transfer outside the machine to an external drive it does take
> another
> > computer with a firewire port.
>
> For the price it's actually not all that exciting. Were it priced so
> poor folks could afford one it might be interesting.
>
> This is especially true as commitment to something capable of recording
> that well also means a commitment to high quality microphones. And we
> have already had the discussion where high quality mics were dismissed
> as too expensive for poor folks.
>
> Remember when a person was told that if they wanted to get into quality
> nature recording the buy in was a Nagra? It seems that's where we are
> headed.
>
> Yes I do think it's a ok recorder. But it's hardly a miracle or unique.
> It would be a miracle if it was priced appropriately.
>
> Walt
>

> "Microphones are not ears,
> Loudspeakers are not birds,
> A listening room is not nature."