Re: Clamp Filters & Sony Hi MD

Subject: Re: Clamp Filters & Sony Hi MD
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:47:15 +0100
Dan, Bruce,

I think they are there because it is routine nowadays. All cables should
have some extra bulk on it to look fancy.

In reality, hearing what film-teams etc reports, is that when you have RF
problems, nothing work.
The best of microphone/recorder may pick up a lot of RF, while the cheapest=

equipment will not.

It is like Dan says, random and unpredictable. Using the filters can even
make it worse. So was the case with a few Telinga's sold during mid 80. I
added RF coils at the output, because "it should be" that way. (Everebody
said) The only users who have had problems with Telinga and RF are the ones=

with the RF coils.

A way which has worked for me a few times, is just sitting down on the
ground, holding the mic and recorder by hand. Try to get yourself and as
much as possible "grounded" as much as possible.

Klas.

At 01:14 2005-03-07, you wrote:

>Bruce Bowden, you wrote,
>
> >Could someone tell me a little more about "clamp filters" ?  What do
> >they do and when do you need them?
>
>They reduce the transmission of high-frequency radio waves. The
>density of such waves around us is increasing because of cell phones
>and the proliferation of other wireless devices.
>
> >The group convinced me to stopping
> >waiting for Sharp to do a Hi MD and so I bought a Sony NHF 800.  Anyway
> >included in the packaging were several of these clamp filters that were
> >preinstalled on the cords and some loose for use.  The instructions were
> >minimal but indicated that they were not needed unless the minidisc
> >recorder was connected to a computer.  So I don't need them between a
> >mic and the MD recorder?....Sony's  instructions mention one connected
> >to a stereo mic ??.........and do I only need them if I use one of the
> >new 1 GB style minidisc?  What about if I am using a regular 80 minute
> >minidisc formatted in the Hi MD format?  Thanks !
>
>Their presence indicates that they are a fix for a problem that some
>users must have had. RF problems are highly local in nature; you
>might never experience them, or you might have them all the time if
>your house is washed by a radio station, taxi dispatch center, or
>cell phone tower. It's likely you won't have any problems out in
>quiet places, but I'd keep the filters in your kit just in
>case...they must be there to fix a vulnerability that was discovered.
>
>-Dan Dugan
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."