Re: Clamp Filters & Sony Hi MD

Subject: Re: Clamp Filters & Sony Hi MD
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 16:14:40 -0800
Bruce Bowden, you wrote,

>Could someone tell me a little more about "clamp filters" ?  What do
>they do and when do you need them?

They reduce the transmission of high-frequency radio waves. The
density of such waves around us is increasing because of cell phones
and the proliferation of other wireless devices.

>The group convinced me to stopping
>waiting for Sharp to do a Hi MD and so I bought a Sony NHF 800.  Anyway
>included in the packaging were several of these clamp filters that were
>preinstalled on the cords and some loose for use.  The instructions were
>minimal but indicated that they were not needed unless the minidisc
>recorder was connected to a computer.  So I don't need them between a
>mic and the MD recorder?....Sony's  instructions mention one connected
>to a stereo mic ??.........and do I only need them if I use one of the
>new 1 GB style minidisc?  What about if I am using a regular 80 minute
>minidisc formatted in the Hi MD format?  Thanks !

Their presence indicates that they are a fix for a problem that some
users must have had. RF problems are highly local in nature; you
might never experience them, or you might have them all the time if
your house is washed by a radio station, taxi dispatch center, or
cell phone tower. It's likely you won't have any problems out in
quiet places, but I'd keep the filters in your kit just in
case...they must be there to fix a vulnerability that was discovered.

-Dan Dugan