Re: "which sound card" redux

Subject: Re: "which sound card" redux
From: "David Kuhn" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:02:33 -0000
--- In  Rob Danielson <>
wrote:
> Three factors, in this order: (1) the audio editing/mixing software
> you choose  (2) your computer platform for the next ~5 years (3)
your
> audio interface.

Thanks Rob, those three factors are:
1) Cool Edit Pro
2) Windows XP on (likely) Dell dimension 3000
3) If "audio interface" means sound card, that's the question at hand.
Admittedly, I'm looking for an easy answer, if such there be, to this
question--a sound card that would be sufficient and satisfactory
given the above elements of a system; and also given that I find
myself using this stuff at a "professional" level--that is, I have
project contracts with hard deadlines, and don't want to mess around
with a sound card that doesn't rise to the demands.

I'll make another assault on the archives--

Mahalo,
David

In case you haven't yet, consider a laptop with a
> FireWire or USB connected audio interface so you can take the heart
> of your system where you want. I was hesitant about whether a
laptop
> would be enough before I bought one, but I think its one of the
best
> decisions I've made.
>
> For a reliable, good sounding system, start with the archives of
the
> software users group. See what interfaces they speak highly of and
> post a question about your remaining questions.  After you make
your
> software and hardware purchases, join the user lists for both and
> collect the posts in an email mailbox. If you go with a popular,
> professional sound application, chances are very good that after a
> year, most of the questions you'll encounter can be answered by
> searching the emails you've already received. Rob D.
>
>   = = = =
>
> At 8:58 PM +0000 2/26/05, David Kuhn wrote:
> >Hi fellow listeners,
> >
> >I am sure there is good info in the archives on sound cards, but
> >after an hour of grappling with our search engine I return to the
> >source. As I mentioned in a prior post I'm getting a new computer
> >system, and want to get a sound card that is up to the rest of my
> >record chain (MKH20's or Telinga stereo into HHB Portadisc).
Besides,