Re: Mic Terminology

Subject: Re: Mic Terminology
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:18:47 -0500
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>

> A very good guide on the web can be found at
> http://www.birds.cornell.edu/MacaulayLibrary/contribute/equipmentOverview.ht
> ml
> Or follow the link on my page "what do I use to record"
> Once you have read all the basics, step up to the next level.

As those who have been reading my babble for a while on this group know,
I'm not a fan of Cornell as a authority on equipment. They tend to have
specific equipment they like, and others they hate. Everyone does this,
but Cornell tends to be pointed out as if they were not biased, and they
think they are not biased. Their biggest problem is that they tend to
live in the past and don't make much effort to learn new equipment well
enough to give a rounded opinion.

> A great deal of us have gone this way or another but find we have stopped at
> MKH sennheiser mics, Telinga parabolic mics and top of the range minidisk
> recorders like the HHB Portadisk or the long awaited Sound devices 722 or
> 744 flash card recorders.

I agree, if you keep at it long enough, and are working hard at getting
optimum recordings that has a price. Good equipment costs. On the other
hand it makes good recording much easier. More of what you record you
will like. And the top equipment tends to last a long time if cared for
reasonably. A reason for using care in your equipment choices.