Re: More CD troubles to worry about

Subject: Re: More CD troubles to worry about
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:42:51 -0500
From: Dan Dugan <>

> Walt, you wrote,
>

>>>Most CD-R blanks have a note somewhere to write on them only with a oil
>>>based felt tip pen. And use care about pen pressure.
>

> Actually the extra-careful use water-based pens, because that's less
> likely to harm the lacquer coating on top of the reflective layer.
> I've always used Sharpies and have never had a problem. The
> industrial sharpies fade less on the spines exposed to the light. I
> have a shelf full of videotapes with almost blank labels after ten or
> fifteen years under a skylight (standard sharpie).

I'm not sure that water based is better for lacquer. It's going to
depend on the specific lacquer and what solvent was used originally when
it was coated. The other problem with water based is that water will
smudge it, including moisture on our fingers. Anyway, I just took them
at their word and have never had a problem.

> I've only ruined a disc once by writing on it, that was by writing
> with a hard mechanical pencil.

That would do it.

> I've used Neato's for years with no problems or complaints from
> clients. After applying I burnish them down very thoroughly with my
> fingertips. I'd be willing to pay more for archival labels.

I think the sticky labels people are talking about are the small avery
or whatever labels. Full disk size labels designed for the job should be
ok. At least they should be balanced.

Some day I may get a ink jet for CD labels, kind of hard to justify the
cost.