Re: Boundary Mics

Subject: Re: Boundary Mics
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:57:14 -0500
From: Henry Howard <>

>  > I've done the back to back PZM experiment. To me it seemed to have a
>  > hole in the middle
>
> I have used the Crown SASS for a number of concert sessions
> and find even that angle has a soft hole in the middle.
> The full spread was there, but the center depth was weak.
> I have on occasion added a hyper cardiod just under the SASS to
> pull in the back of the orchestra.
> (Sorry I don't have a nature example.)

Was this a SASS-P or one of the mod SASS? And what distance were you using?

The SASS-P is using tiny capsules that are close to the center barrier.
Easily masked if you are close. It does tend to sound like two separate
overlapping fields a little bit.

In my nature recording with the SASS/MKH-20 mod I normally start each
recording session by panning the mic back and forth across the field
while listening very carefully to the field to determine the aim I want
to use. Any hole, soft or otherwise in the middle would be evident in
that. As I pan across there is no noticeable dip in the calls or the
background ambiance associated with the center. The field is continuous
for about 270 degrees.

Because of the design of the SASS I'd expect some center masking at very
close distances. That's very close for nature recording, say, 15-20'.
This would probably get more noticeable as you got even closer. I've
done nature recording as close as about 10' with the SASS/MKH-20 with no
problems. The mic diaphragms of the SASS/MKH-20 are much larger than
those of the SASS-P and thus located farther out from the central foam
barrier.

This is not at all the same magnitude as the hole in the center with two
back to back PZM's where your center depends on the edge of the boundary
field. That is much more evident than any possible hole in the SASS.