RE: parabolic T mic and phase invert noise reduction

Subject: RE: parabolic T mic and phase invert noise reduction
From: "Alt, Mark" <>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 14:01:08 -0600
The Northern Hawk Owls I have personally observed number in the 50's.  I
have been outside and listening fro each one. The only vocalization I
got was a muted kek-kek-kek-kek from one that had just successfully
killed and fed on a Vole. I think these vocalizations are rare, but we
are determined to get them this time of year.  Tony Hertzel reported a
vocalization from a Greta Gray Owl two weeks ago. There were GGOW's
perched up on opposite sides of the road, one of them began to make a
noise Tony described as a percussive noise with its tongue, a chatter,
not a beak clapping nor a resonant vocalization, but a chatter,
whereupon the other Great Gray Flew at it, both disappeared in to the
woods. We have yet to capture any vocalizations on any of these owls
yet. But the winter is not over yet. Other songs we are hot after is
Pine Grosbeak singing and Northern Shrike winter song.  NOSH songs act
as a siren song, luring in small passerines to within striking distance.
I have heard it twice, yet never recorded it. It is a disjointed
muttering of short phrases, and nearly as quiet as a whisper song.  We
hope to get this one this winter too.

Mark Alt
Sr. Project Manager
Entertainment Software Supply Chain