Re: O-rings for Mic Shock mounting

Subject: Re: O-rings for Mic Shock mounting
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:27:43 -0500
From: Rob Danielson <>

> Hi Walt--
> AllOrings suggested the Buna product line because
> the rings are more elastic. Do you happen to know
> the sizes that worked for you? I can see if this
> size range is well represented in the $10 sample
> kit. Thanks! Rob D.

The Buna are more elastic, but not as durable, note this from their
material page: "Poor resistance to sunlight, weathering and ozone." You
would need to watch them more for cracking. These are the standard
hardware store o-rings. The silicon are stretchy enough, remember that's
what Rycote uses. Buna is also one of those that would stick to the mics
over time in my SASS, where the o-ring is continually pressed against
the mic. The only disadvantage of the silicon I've found is that they
are fairly easily cut or torn when setting them up. I have used the buna
o-rings in the past because of easy availability.

Anyway try some of various ones. The smallest width of o-ring they have
in lots of sizes is 1/16, which is what I use. The SASS/MKH-20 takes a
fatter o-ring but that's special to it, 1"x 1 3/16"x 3/32". On the size
chart the ID & OD will give you the diameter of the circle of the
o-ring. You would size them so that there was a little stretch. Rycote
ones are stretched about 10-30%. The diameters you would need would have
to come from your suspension. It's like sizing rubber bands, but less
stretch.

As far as what sizes I have, I've got 1/16 silicon in a variety of sizes
all the way up to several inches in diameter. As I noted I've been
accumulating the various sizes for future use. Rycote suspensions don't
take near that large a o-ring. Somewhere around 1" diameter or less.
When you compare their prices on replacement o-rings to Alloring's
retail prices you will see just how much they are engaged in highway
robbery.