Re: Disaster Relief

Subject: Re: Disaster Relief
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:23:17 -0800
Here's another angle, folks:

Millions of lives are on the line. The U.S. government can lead
billions of dollars of aid into the tsunami relief effort, if it
chooses. Let Congress and the President know that Americans are
supporting strong leadership in this relief effort.

<http://www.moveon.org/tsunamirelief/>
Take Action

Dear MoveOn member,

The tsunami in southern Asia and Africa may be the worst natural
disaster of our time. More than 116,000 lives were wiped out within
hours. The toll in death and suffering from smashed cities, broken
families, rampant disease, and crippled economies cannot even be
calculated. In the face of this horror, MoveOn members have poured in
requests to help, asking how we can push through our sadness and lend
a hand.

Rising to this challenge is at the heart of global leadership, and
the world is depending on us. The U.S. government can lead billions
of dollars of aid into this relief effort, if it chooses. Americans
are generous and ready to step forward, but the U.S. Congress and the
Bush administration have made a weak initial contribution to the
effort -- first offering $15 million and then $35 million when they
came under pressure. Clearly, we can do more.

Let Congress and the President know that Americans are supporting
strong leadership in this relief effort -- that millions of lives are
at stake and we have to help. In this hour of need, if America
chooses to embrace our role as a world leader, we can have an
unparalleled impact. Send a message to our leaders at:

   <http://www.moveon.org/tsunamirelief/>http://www.moveon.org/tsunamirelie=
f/

But we can't just wait for this Congress to move. We can help
directly, as individuals, and save lives today. Our friends at Oxfam
are already scrambling on the front lines to fight off starvation and
disease -- and beginning to rebuild. Because Oxfam has worked for
years with grassroots groups in the hardest hit areas, they were able
to mobilize local leadership to help survivors immediately after the
tsunami hit. And Oxfam will be there for the long-term, helping
communities recover and regain their ability to meet basic needs.
Oxfam needs to raise $5 million immediately to provide safe water,
sanitation, food, shelter, and clothing to 36,000 families in
Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and India. Your contribution can make this
possible.

Please give what you can, at:

   <http://www.moveon.org/r?r=3D631>http://www.moveon.org/r?r=3D631

Of course, Oxfam is only one of dozens of great organizations, like
UNICEF, CARE, and the Red Cross/Red Crescent, rushing to help with
the immediate need. Their efforts give the victims a head start, but
it won't be enough unless the great nations of the world step forward
in a big way for the long-term challenges.

Indonesia, by far the hardest hit country, is also the world's
largest Muslim nation. Their estimated death toll stands at 85,000 --
in some areas, 1 out of 4 people have already been killed. Now it's
time for America to show its true colors. We want to be known as a
nation that leads the world with compassion, generosity, and
community -- not with disastrous foreign military adventures. We are
a nation that values human life, family, and extending freedom and
opportunity to where it is most needed. We must now reach out in a
serious way to do just that.

The $35 million offered by the Bush administration seems like a lot
of money, but it's insignificant compared to what's needed in a
disaster relief effort than spans continents and is expected to be
the most expensive in history. To put it in perspective, we're
spending $35 million in Iraq every 7 hours. (The Bush administration
is about to ask for another $80 billion to cover the next installment
of this tragic occupation.)1

We can and will do better. Thanks for doing your part to show the
true generosity of the American spirit.

Sincerely,

--Adam, Ben, Carrie, Eli, James, Joan, Justin, Laura, Mari, Noah,
Rosalyn, and Wes
   The MoveOn.org Team
   December 30th, 2004

P.S. Just as we were finalizing this email, we received a note from
17-year-old MoveOn member Annalise Blum, who has a great idea for New
Year's Eve parties. Here's her email:

Dear Joan and Wes,

We arrived in Cambodia today and turned on the TV in our hotel room
to learn more about the Tsunami. It has been horrifying to follow the
rising death toll and especially learn about all of the children who
have died. I really wanted to do something when I learned that just
as many more people could die from lack of access to clean water and
the spread of disease if not enough is done quickly.

I realized that New Years Eve Parties would be a perfect place to
have people contribute online to the relief effort. Someone in our
group came up with the name "Throw out a lifeline Online."

If MoveOn were to send out a message to its members suggesting that
they turn on a computer and donate money to one of the relief
organizations at their new years eves parties, it could save
thousands of lives. Maybe this sort of message would be a welcome
opportunity for its members to help people directly. I would greatly
appreciate anything you could do to help.

Below I have written a message I am planning send to my friends.
MoveOn, if interested, could send out something similar.

Throw Out A Lifeline Online
Help the Victims of the South Asian Tsunami

As most of you undoubtedly know, many parts of the eastern coastal
regions of South Asia were hit on Sunday, December 26th, with one of
the largest tsunamis in recent history. The death toll of the
tsunami, caused by an earthquake of 9.0 magnitude, has already risen
to over 60,000 people. All regions affected are in desperate need of
clean water, food, temporary shelter and medical help to the
survivors. Some estimate that one third of the dead are children.

World Health Organization expert David Nabarro told reporters "there
is certainly a chance that we could have as many dying from
communicable diseases as from the tsunami".

Start this year off by contributing money to an effective aid
organization to prevent this humanitarian catastrophe from getting
even worse. If you are going to a New Year's Eve Party, make it
meaningful by turning on a computer and encouraging everyone to
donate.

Footnote:
1. Bush Says America Will Lead Global Relief Effort, Washington Post,
December 30, 2004
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33290-2004Dec29.html>http:/=
/www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33290-2004Dec29.html

--