Re: Tsunami and non-humans

Subject: Re: Tsunami and non-humans
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:01:46 -0500
From: "artistico7" <>

> Animals, contrary to human beings, are much better at interpreting
> what their senses tell them about changes in their surroundings - a
> vital survival instinct that mankind to a large extent has lost, and
> in many cases this is something that a group of recordists should
> find interesting as the subsonic rumble of distant events sometimes
> seem to be what triggers protective behaviour. This is a very
> unscientific piece of information of course.

Animals treat a unknown as a threat, humans don't. Just witness the
person who sat there videotaping as the wave hurtled toward him.

> The animals, better in tune with the natural vibrations and sounds
> of their surroundings, would notice the initial earthquake, and
> likewise they might have further detected the approaching wave.

The Tsunami is moving at hundreds of miles per hour, unlikely any sound
projects ahead of it. And, until it hits land it's not really a wave you
would notice, a few inches high and several miles across.

I also doubt that even animals noticed the earthquake very far from it's
center. Only a few animals are equipped for seismic sensing. Like the
frogs that use seismic courtship calls. And have special seismic sensing
structures in their ears.

> Another thing to consider is of course that the zone nearest the
> ocean is generally saturated with human occupation, leaving less
> room for animals, and it is in this zone that the effect has been
> the greatest also on the human population.

This is a part of it for sure. You did not have to be all that far from
shore on the mainland to not be hit.

It should also be noted that these reports focus on large animals. I
expect there were losses in small ground dwelling animals.