Re: Rode NT-4 homemade shock-mount and zeppelin

Subject: Re: Rode NT-4 homemade shock-mount and zeppelin
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:50:38 -0600
Sounds like I need to take trip to the fabric store to check out this
plastic canvas material.  Not sure I want to mess with a class of
twenty students with painting/heat guns etc, but if its strong enough
for the NT4's, might be worth it.  Nylon panty hose stocking might
work best for the inner mesh.  I'd also like the mic to be quickly
accessible so one can change the 9 volt battery without taking the
mic out the suspension.

I hope the O ring company will offer a kit with suitable rings to
experiment with.  Their chart doesn't provide much sense of the
elasticity/stiffness.

Incidentally, I finally realized a MHK 30/40 backpack-mounted mic
mount that I can hike/walk with almost no handling/jostling sounds.
The mics are attached to each other and they are floated in a loose
rubber band suspension. The pipe stem holding this suspension (w/zep)
slips inside of a large block of foam rubber. Another stem sticks
through the foam coming up from the back pack. It makes a flexible
coupling that provides shock absorption between the
backpack/footfalls. Sort of conspicuous but its the first time I've
had a rig for clean recording while walking/moving around with this
M-S pair.  Rob D.

  = = = =

--
Rob Danielson