Re: Digest Number 1578

Subject: Re: Digest Number 1578
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:12:21 -0500
>    From: Rob Danielson <>
> Subject: Re: Rode NT-4 homemade shockmount and zeppelin
>
> Dan and Jeremiah--
>
> One could cut away more of the 3" pipe to be safe. This designs takes
> a hack saw and power drill with 2" door knob bit. I did a "A/B" test
> with good headphones: one NT-4 in the open and the other in the 3"
> tube as pictured.  I couldn't detect any reinforced tones by ear and
> I would have noticed any tuning through the semester with 22 units
> out. I like to use #64 rubber bands and  tension with the 3" stretch
> is about right. The bands may be a bit overloaded but I prefer a
> loose suspension over a tighter one. The NT-4 is too heavy to set up
> resonance in the suspension. 4" PVC pipe would require heavier rubber
> bands or the light weight bungy cord and I don't have as much luck
> with those.
>
> I'm always looking for ways to improve micing mobility. If any one
> has a favorite, inexpensive, shock-mount design for condenser mics,
> please share it! Rob D.

I would tend to cut away a lot more. I'd be just a little worried that
the polar patterns would be changed as it is.

I would also get a layer of wind stopping fabric into the mesh. In
addition to the furry outside. You have only a single layer of protection.

You might also look at craft shop "plastic canvas" for the mesh.

Consider baby socks on the mics themselves. I did not originate that
idea, but when I tried it I liked the extra protection. I use the knit
tube sock kind.

I favor o-rings over rubber bands. You can get all kinds of different
types in bulk here:
http://www.allorings.com/material_selection.htm

I prefer the Silicone ones in my SASS as they don't tend to stick to the
mics over time. That's the same as Rycote uses I'm pretty sure. I have
some of the Rycote ones and they look the same. You have to check the
sizing chart to understand the ordering page.