Re: HI-MD field report

Subject: Re: HI-MD field report
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:42:04 -0600
>I've been looking into getting a HI-MD recorder to take with me when
>I go for walks or on birding trips so that I can make audio notes as
>I go along and also record any bird sounds which can aid in
>identification. I haven't even seen a MZ-NH900 around here - Future
>shop has the 800 and 700 and lesser models. As far as I can tell, the
>800 is just a 700 with an added AM/FM tuner and about $50 extra.
>I don't need professional quality sound but I've tried a couple of
>mini-cassette and digital chip recorders and I know their audio
>quality is only suitable for voice recordings.
>The audio specs for the 700 look the same as those of the 900.
>I think the 700 would meet my needs but does anyone know if there's=A0
>any reason I would need the 900 instead of a 700?
>Is anyone aware of any other options I could check out? I understand
>that many newer MP3 players also record audio but I presume that
>their quality isn't any better than the digital chip recorders I've
>tried.
>
>Thanks
>Pete

http://www.minidisc.org/himd_2004_comparison_table.html
As for field note taking compatibility, Hi-MD
tracks are created with "pause," and these are
grouped into a folder every time "stop" is
pressed. Out of the recorder, every HiMD disk
receives the same track and groups naming scheme,
but after conversion, there might be a clever way
to use a file re-naming application for numerical
file name sequencing for importing into a data
base for elaboration. Others have much  more
experience with this need than I. As for
competition, the Edirol deck? Aaron has mentioned
other manufs possibly coming out with Hi-MD
format recorders. Depends on how long you can
wait. Several awkwardnesses of the Sony's will
not be hard to improve upon.  Rob D