Re: Mic Cables

Subject: Re: Mic Cables
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:23:08 -0500
From: Mark Griswold <>

> I like Canare star quad (4 wire + shield) cable, but there is a Canare
> 2 wire + shield cable too. The braided shield is really durable. For
> super long cables they have a "mini" version (2 wire + shield) which
> cuts the weight down.

I also use Canare star quad. They do have a mini version of that too. I
make my own cables, they are easy to do. So, I only pay materials.

Braided shield cable is the only way to go with the amount of flexing a
outdoor cable undergoes. Wrapped shield will open up with time. And foil
shield will break, foil shield is only for permanent installations even
though it's common in cheap cables.

I cut down on bulk by using the 4 conductors of the star quad to carry
two channels for stereo. That does negate some of the interference
resistance of the cable, but out nature recording you are far from
interference sources. Mini star quad stereo cable made that way is just
about as light as you can go. My longer cables are mini, shorter ones
regular size.

In addition to the cable, the connectors are important. I use the
Neutric X-HD series XLR connectors. In the black with gold contacts.
This series is waterproof when connected together, a obvious advantage
outdoors. I've recorded with connectors underwater. These can be hard to
find, particularily the black version in 5 pin, though it's gotten a bit
easier since Waterworld came out. They used these connectors filming that.

My stereo cables use 5 pin XLR. I have to break them out at each end
with a 5 pin to 2-3pin Y. But it's much easier to handle a single long
cable than a pair. The Y cables for the mic end I make by using the core
cables from a Canare star quad snake cable and cover those with braided
fabric. I used to use boot laces for the braid, but got a supply of
Kevlar braid recently. The fabric braid helps to cut down on cable
noise. Though the only time water got into a connector it was when I got
the 5 pin of the Y off the SASS underwater and the fabric wicked water
into the waterproof connector. Had to get out of the pond and dry it out.

Note Canare makes star quad snake cables in a variety of cable numbers.
The more channels the bigger the cable, of course.