Mic Self noise and sound filtering

Subject: Mic Self noise and sound filtering
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:12:21 -0600
>Walt wrote:
>
>>  Ah, most of what you use filtering for! Sampled-noise reduction is only
>>  one technique you throw at this. And kind of minor at that. You throw
>>  everything but the kitchen sink at it. You'd throw the kitchen sink if
>>  it did any good! And learn that nothing substitutes for not recording
>>  it
>>  in the first place. Filtering is a patch effort after the fact.
>>  Everyone
>>  does it, and wishes they did not need it.
>
>Walt,
>Would you be willing to post some before and after examples for the
>newbies in here....like me? Maybe samples that required both extremes
>of filtration?
>
>Dave
><back to lurk mode>

Hi Dave--

Walt has covered the issues involved quite thoroughly.  Every file
presents unique possibilties and circumstances but I can also
understand you wanting to hear some before-and-after-examples. If
you'll email me a couple of your stereo soundfiles (.aiff or .wav
<5mb each>) I'd be happy to do some filtering on them and email them
back with the eq (Eqium)  I used.

Please include a decscription for each :

(1) What your final playback application/gear is (e.g. heaphones,
multimedia speakers on PC, Audio CD playback basic home stereo.
hi-end home stereo)

(2) What interests you the most about the recording and whether you
intend to use it as a stand alone  piece or as one element in a
multi-track mix.

Best,
Rob D.

  = = = =