Re: Digest Number 1557

Subject: Re: Digest Number 1557
From: Terry King <>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:27:49 +0100
At 12:46 PM 11/24/2004 +0000, Walt wrote:
> >The noise reduction software can be used for fairly minor noise
>reduction. It will not come at all close to a good recording made with a
>good low noise mic. Noise reduction software introduces it's own noise
>too. It can only be applied very lightly.
>
> >Go for as good a mic as you can afford, get close enough that you don't
>have to use a lot of gain, and work on technique. You make the recording
>by the time it's fed to the recorder. The rest is minor changes.

Very good points!

Walt, I'm trying to understand the noise that is output by a typical good
condenser mike: that is it's "self noise".  Is this wideband uncolored
(white) noise, typically?  I'm thinking about designing a preamp, and
wondering if I want to be able to do any frequency-domain adjustments or
cutoffs, or none.  I have a couple of Shure WL183's that have a rated
self-noise of 22.5 dB SPL.  Am I correct to assume that a desired signal
that is 32.5 dB SPL would give a SNR of 10 dB?  Do you have any recordings
of a microphones self-noise in an acoustically quiet environment? I'd be
interested in doing a spectral analysis on the noise.

On another related subject:  Some online sample soundscapes have known
human-caused backgrounds such as distant power plants and trucks on a
distant highway.  Has anyone tried the sampled-noise reduction techniques
on these type of noise sources??

Just thinking, but soon recording: I just got my M-audio Transits in the
mail...

Any suggestions, pointers appreciated.

Regards, Terry King  ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage, Tunisia