old car mic inquiry

Subject: old car mic inquiry
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:00:47 -0500
Hi All:

I have a tiny mic left over from my first "car phone" of about ten years
ago.  The car phone system was long since deserted along with the old car.
I am sure it is NOT suited to bird recording, but might be helpful for
note-taking.

It was mounted  on my visor above the steering wheel, and picked up my
voice, nicely cancelling the cabin noise.  It is a black cylinder, 0.3
inches diam, 1 inch long, with no way to put batteries in it, and a single
mono 1/8inch miniplug on the end of its attached black cord. It has no
writing except for a largish silver "T" on the side. It has four tiny holes
in the end, and three side port holes on each side.

When tried in a normal mic input there is no apparent signal from it.  It
looks like a condenser mic, but my theory is it has no power.
My question is: if I put 9 v (supplied with a large resistor and a blocking
capacitor to the recorder) across the plug which polarity would likely
work?  Plus to center or minus to center?

Or should I just throw it away?

--  best regards,  Marty Michener
MIST Software Assoc. Inc.,  P. O. Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049
http://www.enjoybirds.com/