Re: [nature_sounds_society] Volunteers needed for Frog Reloc

Subject: Re: [nature_sounds_society] Volunteers needed for Frog Reloc
From: PLANS Secretary <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:15:10 -0800
Please excuse the double posting to nature recordists and the Nature
Sounds Society list.

I wasn't able to get out until after sundown. I drove across the
third street bridge, jammed with traffic because both northbound
lanes are occupied by construction equipment and crews working
overtime on the Third Street Light Rail project. I looped around and
parked where Illinois Street dead-ends into Islais Creek, across from
the warehouses long ago converted to artist habitats.

First I walked west along the shore in a tiny park strip that goes
along the creek to Third Street. There was nothing that looked like
frog habitat there; the tide was low and the rip-rap shore was
exposed.

When I was back at the end of Illinois St. I heard treefrogs! I
followed my ears up the fence line along Illinois to two big yellow
tubs with standing water, perfect mosquito habitat, and a drip
irrigation system for trees along the street and in a brushy thicket
on the other side of the fence. The frog sounds seemed to be coming
from an unnaturally concentrated point on the other side of the
fence. Listening, I discerned that the sound seemed to be gated or
noise reduction processed, with fragments of traffic noise and voices
mixed with the frogs. Sounded like a recording. But maybe what I was
hearing was some acoustic effect of a culvert opening. Maybe the
traffic and voices were coming through the culvert from somewhere
else. I wanted to make sure.

Back at the creek end of the street there's a place where one can
climb over a low fence and enter the little wild shorline strip the
residents call "Muwekma Ohlone Park." I squeezed through the thicket
back to the fence corner where the sound was coming from. Point
source. No culvert. I heard a click when the loop repeated.

Couldn't even fool me once, dudes.

-Dan Dugan