Re: [nature_sounds_society] Volunteers needed for Frog Reloc

Subject: Re: [nature_sounds_society] Volunteers needed for Frog Reloc
From: "Walter Knapp" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:14:06 -0000
--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> You call them Pacific Treefrogs--the appeal called them Pacific
> Chorus Frogs. A web search indicates the same animal answers to
both
> names in English and both pseudacris regilla and hyla regilla in
> Latin. Right?

Pseudacris regilla is their current official designation. Which makes
them a chorus frog even though some of us keep calling them treefrogs.
Behaviourly they are more like treefrogs than chorus frogs. Chorus
frogs you would find mostly on the ground.

> This location is right by a busy traffic bridge. The rainy season
has
> just started here a week ago. Should I expect to hear them calling
in
> the daytime? Would they -not- be calling at night? Should I go out
> both day and night to make a last-minute survey recording?

I'd try both. They will not be calling continuously, separate
individual calls are typical. These calls are often called rain calls,
but don't need rain. Day or night is possible. Once you zero in on
one, if you don't spook him he'll call periodically.

> Thanks a lot for the information, Walt. If it makes any sense, I'll
> try to make a recording before the hunt starts tomorrow. Any advice
> appreciated ASAP.

Just get out and listen. I don't have a recording, though it would
help to listen to one first.

After all the dust/mud settles, I bet there will still be frogs there
next breeding season. Using the mud puddles left by the bulldozers
maybe. Regardless of how the volunteers do. Unless they remove all
vegetation.