What's That Sound? - sad warble

Subject: What's That Sound? - sad warble
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:23:00 -0700
From: "Amanda Bills" <>

Hi Doug,
I enjoyed your website, but I'm having a difficult time trying to identify
the sound I hear at dusk.  I think it's a bird, but I've listened for birds
my whole life and never heard a sound like this one.  The 7 or 8 tones
start at a high note and decrease, seeming to hit each note in an
octave.  It sounds somewhat like a sad warble.  It's not a clear song like
that of the birds I hear in Michigan.  Could it be an owl or hawk?  I sit
outside every night and try to locate the vicinity of the creature, and it
is usually in the same tree, but it is too dark to focus the binoculars
on.  Thank you for helping me. Denise.

Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
Moderator