Re: What's That Sound? - Mooresville,NC. "trill"

Subject: Re: What's That Sound? - Mooresville,NC. "trill"
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 16:04:28 -0400
I call it the "rattle call". It is a musical rattle, quite unlike all other
crow calls, and I can see how one might confuse it with the call of a
distant Sandhill Crane.

Lang

From: "Dewey Barton" <>

I live in Mooresville,NC.  This morning around 9am I walked our dogs in our
neighborhood of scatered wooded lots, cleared lots, and lots with homes on
Lake Norman.  I heard a "trill" sound that in the past I had seen the giant
cranes make, usually while in flight.  Also there was the typical crow call
in the top of a pine on a wooded lot.  I searched the sky to wee the giant
crane in flight only to focus on a CROW.  I watched him alternate between
the two calls for over a minute.  He then began to only make the "trill"
call.  It was with great physcial effort that he made the trill sound.  He
would rear back from a balanced position and during the call arch his neck
in an exaggerated "c".  He was shortly joined by three additional crows and
there were no more audible sounds froms any of the four crow.   Please tell
me that I'm not crazy and need to seek madical intervention.  Is this
typical of crows to mimic other bird calls?  Thanks so much for your time,
Martha Barton

Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
Moderator