Canada vs Cackling Goose Vocalizations

Subject: Canada vs Cackling Goose Vocalizations
From: Barb Beck <>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:31:11 -0600
A Challenge to the group:

David Sibley has an excellent discussion of the present knowledge on the se=
paration of the newly split Canada and Cackling Geese
http://www.sibleyguides.com/canada_cackling.htm.=20

The thing that caught my eye in Sibleys report was that there might be sign=
ificant differences in voice between the subspecies.   All of us who have s=
pent time around the smallest versions of the Cackling Goose know how very =
different its voice is from the very large forms of these geese but can voi=
ce be used to separate accurately all of the ssp??  or  spearate at any rat=
e the group that is now (at least for a while) classed as Canada Goose vs t=
hat now classed as Cackling Goose in the field?  Sibley points out that thi=
s may not be possible but I wonder if this group can come up with good fiel=
d id vocalization clues before the bino guys can come up with them or bette=
r ones than they come up with..=20

Do any of you have any comments or vocalizations of known ssp that you woul=
d be willing to share.  If anybody has been on the breeding grounds the ssp=
 of where the recording was made is a pretty good indication  would help.  =
I personally know little about the vocalizations of most of the subspecies =
of these geese and only have recordings of our local birds  but I wonder if=
 the collective brains and resources of this group can either solve or put =
a big dent it.

Barb Beck
Edmonton Alberta Canada