book reviews, filters, tick testing, water surface

Subject: book reviews, filters, tick testing, water surface
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:28:26 -0400
Hi gang:

I read every one of your posts, but myself have done no sound recording in=

almost a year, so I have posted nothing recently --  working on
photographing another PDF book on botanical identification - the 700
commonest plants on NE.

But, since you still are the best informed bunch of out-doors folk to which=

I have ready access, I hereby ask Jim and Doug's forbearance for one post
of several off-topic queries, where my need for health-related expertise is=

high. Y'all can answer off-line to my email directly
to      if you'de like to keep the list uncluttered=

with "UN-sound" information.

=3D--=3D--=3D--=3D
But first, my congratulations to list member and old friend Dr. Don Tarbet=

for publishing a real, funny, mystery novel "Moving Up-Island".  I bought a=

copy and just finished reading it - it combines mystery, the Maine coast,
politics and much well-done humor, and I highly recommend it. A portion of=

each sale goes to support his non-profit nature education NHEST.org
published by Maine Marketplace:
http://www.mainemarketplace.com/books.html#move
=3D--=3D--=3D--=3D
I would also like to congratulate old friend and former student Robert F.
Kennedy, Jr. on his amazing documentation of the last five years of
degrading environmental laws, in his best-seller "Crimes against Nature".

--- The usual disclaimers - I have no political or financial interest in
either of these products - just think my friends might like to know my
regards for them.
=3D--=3D--=3D--=3D
Now to my questions:

1. I have a flood-damaged cabin (built ca. 1925 by my grandfather, William=

E. Shipley) in the NJ Pine Barrens where I am periodically, weekly,
removing mold from the bare wood interior, while using a respiratory filter=

for the air-borne spores, AOSaftey with dual-filters R53HE-P100 which I
think for mold are likely overkill  --   I really only need the P100 for
the spores, but am at a loss to know which lesser cartridge to order.  A
pair of new R53HE-P100 cartridges goes for about $ 26.  Advice, anyone? The=

removal, BTW, consists of very close vacuuming with a small brush, then the=

application of ZymoCat solution, mixed 100:1, followed by heat drying the
wood.  Would formaldehyde fumes help kill the mold and preserve the bare
wood?  Stains?

2. Today, having just returned from NJ,  I removed an adult female deer
tick, Ixodes scapularis, from my left upper arm, probably attached less
than 12 hours, certainly the arm is showing no rash, bullseye or otherwise,=

and almost no point of mouthpart entry.  My question: Where can you send an=

(alive) adult tick to see if it carries either Lymes or Erlichiosis?  How
much do the tests cost?  I already know to watch the wound site for symptom=
s.

3. For years I have often noticed a line on the surface of slowly-moving
waters, similar to that formed by another clear immiscible liquid (like gas=

or oil) on the stream surface.  The Rancocas creek in NJ always shows such=

a surface line near my dock, always moving, with floating leaves often
crossing the line, and some, but not all vortices also able to cross from
one part into the second.  Does this line have a name?  I always assume it=

is caused where one water mass flows toward another, and "subducts"
underneath the second, like a weather front of air masses but without the
temperature differences, etc.  But I am asking if this is so?  Name this
line, please!   Probably everybody has seen it who has gazed at a medium
stream or slow river, but my limnology course missed the subject.

Thanks.  I send my best regards,

Marty Michener