Re: book reviews, filters, tick testing, water surface

Subject: Re: book reviews, filters, tick testing, water surface
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:43:32 -0000
> Now to my questions:
>
> 1. I have a flood-damaged cabin (built ca. 1925 by my grandfather,
William
> E. Shipley) in the NJ Pine Barrens where I am periodically, weekly,
> removing mold from the bare wood interior, while using a
respiratory filter
> for the air-borne spores, AOSaftey with dual-filters R53HE-P100
which I
> think for mold are likely overkill  --   I really only need the
P100 for
> the spores, but am at a loss to know which lesser cartridge to
order.  A
> pair of new R53HE-P100 cartridges goes for about $ 26.  Advice,
anyone? The
> removal, BTW, consists of very close vacuuming with a small brush,
then the
> application of ZymoCat solution, mixed 100:1, followed by heat
drying the
> wood.  Would formaldehyde fumes help kill the mold and preserve the
bare
> wood?  Stains?

>From the guy working the FL hurricaines in a lot of different soups.
I run the smallest particle mask filters that I can get.  These are
the ones used for painting autos.  I do not find a clog problem with
the number of hours that I can accept having it on in a day.  Demo
workers seem to be the only ones with clog problems.=20

I have found from extreme mold exposure I have become very sensitive
to it and normally can use that to tell me when to put it on.  But
where I am right now I am using medication daily because the
situation is too bad for to many miles around.=20

> 2. Today, having just returned from NJ,  I removed an adult female
deer
> tick, Ixodes scapularis, from my left upper arm, probably attached
less
> than 12 hours, certainly the arm is showing no rash, bullseye or
otherwise,
> and almost no point of mouthpart entry.  My question: Where can you
send an
> (alive) adult tick to see if it carries either Lymes or
Erlichiosis?  How
> much do the tests cost?  I already know to watch the wound site for
symptoms.

I don't think you will find that test person in people medicine.
I also have had lime d.  There are two blood tests you can take if
you are worried.  Unfortunately you can not take them for the first
month.  I got the big target and took the medication that ripes your
digestive system apart.  I then had the blood tests when trying to
determine a cause of muscle problems.  I tested as if I never have
had lime because I medicated soon enough.  If you are worried I would
hold out for the blood test in a couple months.

> 3. For years I have often noticed a line on the surface of slowly-
moving
> waters, similar to that formed by another clear immiscible liquid
(like gas
> or oil) on the stream surface.  The Rancocas creek in NJ always
shows such
> a surface line near my dock, always moving, with floating leaves
often
> crossing the line, and some, but not all vortices also able to
cross from
> one part into the second.  Does this line have a name?  I always
assume it
> is caused where one water mass flows toward another, and "subducts"
> underneath the second, like a weather front of air masses but
without the
> temperature differences, etc.  But I am asking if this is so?  Name
this
> line, please!   Probably everybody has seen it who has gazed at a
medium
> stream or slow river, but my limnology course missed the subject.
>
> Thanks.  I send my best regards,

Don't know.

> Marty Michener

PS Ivan was wide. I am working my 16+ hours per day here but came up
for air here for some lite reading.