Re: Digest Number 1526

Subject: Re: Digest Number 1526
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:58:01 -0400
>    From: "Richard Lyttle" <>
> Subject: my sentiments exactly John. Thanks for writing that. I guess Joh=
n Muir was wrong too.

> What Walt Knapp said was wrong. Arrogance by defending wetlands, wildlife=
? I
> thought this was the "Nature" Recordists list.
>
> He should clarify or retract.

The arrogance is not in defending these things, it's in attacking the
people who are there. That got the damage. What you consider defense
from the point of view of the folks there was attack. A life or death
struggle for them. Just a place for a little recreation for you. They
saw it that way.

I care a great deal about the natural environment. I saw long ago that
the shock troop methods being used were going to cause more harm than
good. You gave the people individually the choice, survival or save the
environment, no middle ground. Is anyone surprised they choose survival.
That's a basic instinct of all life.

If you want to do it right, provide survival for the folks you attack.
At very minimum in the US environmental laws should be constitutional,
you cannot take anything without compensation.

There will be no retraction, I go along with many other biologists who
deal daily with the effects of the wetland destruction. This is only one
aspect of the whole picture, but it's a important one.