Re: comparing self-noise in microphones...

Subject: Re: comparing self-noise in microphones...
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:36:31 -0400
From: Gianni Pavan <>

> Hi again,
>          how I could compare the declared self noise in the Audio Technic=
> AT-815 with the values declared by Sennheiser for the MKH-70 ?
>
> AT-815
> Open Circuit Sensitivity
> PHANTOM: -38 dB (12.5 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
> BATTERY: -39 dB (11.2 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
> Signal to Noise Ratio
> 70 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
>
> MKH-70
> Sensitivity in free field, no load (1kHz) : 50 mV/Pa
> Equivalent noise level : 5 dB
> Equivalent noise level weighted as per CCIR 468-3 : 16 dB

In general Signal to Noise Ratio is just a different way of stating it.
Subtract the Equivalent noise level from the sound level used in the
test setup, normally 96dB. That says the AT-815 has about 20 dBA more
self noise than the MKH-70. And pretty noisy for nature recording.

On your question about the MKH-816, I have a pair of these. Very similar
in general characteristics to the MKH-416. Though a tighter field due to
it's longer length. Not as smooth off axis as a MKH-70 or the shorter
MKH-60 that replaced those two. I'd think it would be a lot better than
the AT-815.