Re: comparing self-noise in microphones...

Subject: Re: comparing self-noise in microphones...
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:47:05 -0500
I've only listened through an 815b and not really
recorded with one, but its safe to regard it as
in a different class with the MKH-70. I believe
the difference between the s-n number and the
94dB reference produces a comparable self noise
spec  or, about 24 dBA  for the 815b vs. 5dBA for
the Sennhesier. Please correct me folks if I'm
wrong about this. The mkh 70 has greater
sensitivity too. One needs a quality,
phantom-powered mic preamp for the MKH-70 to show
its best stuff. The 815b will run on a 9volt bat
which, I assume, is a big reason for its
popluarity. Looks like the 815b's self noise is
on par with that of a consumer MD mic input. Rob
D.

  =3D =3D

--
Rob Danielson