RE: Audio Monitors for Editing (bass shakers)

Subject: RE: Audio Monitors for Editing (bass shakers)
From: "Scott Shepard" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 09:02:57 -0400
Hey Greg,

We used a Clark Synthesis unit in some Disney attractions that actually
had a "tactile" frequency response up to 800 Hz.=20

Flat is problematic with these kinds of things, of course. With
speakers, the medium is air, whose acoustic impedance over frequency is
fairly well studied with consistent if complex properties.  With these
kinds of devices, we're activating mechanical systems with resonances
that are unique to each individual chair/floor/wall we're shaking.
Never could get anyone to pay for using mechanical modeling software to
model the chairs and floors, etc. to help us understand the best
mounting design for coupling the vibration.=20

Clark's shakers were originally designed for use in drummer's thrones as
part of the monitor system, but they worked well for making surfaces
"thrum" with the audio soundtrack.

Scott.