Re: Audio Monitors for Editing (bass shakers)

Subject: Re: Audio Monitors for Editing (bass shakers)
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:13:45 -0500
I looked into subs a year ago with the goal of
getting down to 16Hz with as little peaking as
possible.  Several speaker experts I talked with
recommended the NHT 1259  kit with their supplied
amp.

http://www.madisound.com/  and select subwoofer kits.

They were too much for my budget so I bought 2-
10" Sonicraft speakers, made cabinets as per
their design and drove them with one 75 watt
stereo Hafler HA1600 amp. Used a Tapco cross-over
on eBay for $40; total cost was about $500 for
the pair. They seem to perform as well as the
best subs I listened to at the fancy audio
parlors. A larger amp (150+ watt) would probably
be better. Its common for me to have to roll off
under 10Hz to avoid excessive cone fluttering so
the transducers seem to be reproducing 16Hz
adequately.  I gathered from my research that
flat frequency response from 80Hz down is most
difficult quality to obtain. The cheaper ones are
"tuned" to reproduce select resonant frequencies
which can be very low, but not faithful.  My pair
has  ~2dB peak around 42Hz but otherwise, but no
other frequencies jump out noticeably to my ears
or in the analysis I've done.  Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department