Re: Scottish Seabird Disaster Article

Subject: Re: Scottish Seabird Disaster Article
From: Bret <>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 00:59:15 -0700 (PDT)
--- Neville Recording <> wrote:
> Thanks for the article Martyn ,although it is truly a sad story.
>
> I think it should help to change the minnds of any sceptics of global
> warming.  I am planning to be in Scotland next year and am still
> hopng to record some of those threatened species.
>
> John Neville
> British Columbia
> Canada

It is truly a sad story.

I don't intend to start a debate here, but it does not change my mind,
being skeptical regarding human induced global warming.

That a region's temperatures vary over time, is clearly true.  This has
happened over the earth for as long as the earth has existed.

Man does terrible things to the earth, I agree. No dispute.

I cannot agree that we understand the science and history of the
world's climate to drawn strong conclusions that man has influenced the
weather to this degree.

There is data that does not fit the man induced global warming
hypothesis:
http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/MSU/msusci.html
http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/MSU/hl_temp_ud.html

Thermometers on the ground, measuring the near-surface air temperature,
demonstrate a marked increase in globally-averaged temperature over the
past two decades. Computer models of global warming predict that the
temperature trend in the Earth's thick lower atmosphere, called the
lower troposphere, should be experiencing an even more pronounced
warming that increases smoothly with altitude. And yet, satellite
observations of the temperature of the Earth's lower troposphere do not
reveal any overall warming trend. Although interpreted by some as a
controversy, research from NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center and the
Global Hydrology and Climate Center now suggests that the temperature
structure of the atmosphere is more complex than we (and our computer
models) originally thought.
"The temperatures we measure from space are actually on a very slight
downward trend since 1979 in the lower troposphere. We see major
excursions due to volcanic eruptions like Pinatubo, and ocean current
phenomena like El Nino, but overall the trend is about 0.05 degrees
Celsius per decade cooling," Spencer remarked.

there seems to be better correlation between temps and solar activity:
http://www.fathersforlife.org/REA/warming4.htm

the earth cools, the earth warms:
http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

--------------------
Researchers pound the global-warming drum because they know there is
politics and, therefore, money behind it. . . I've been critical of
global warming and am persona non grata."

Dr. William Gray
(Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at Colorado State University, Fort
Collins, Colorado and leading expert of hurricane prediction )
(in an interview for the Denver Rocky Mountain News, November 28, 1999)
-----------
"Scientists who want to attract attention to themselves, who want to
attract great funding to themselves, have to (find a) way to scare the
public . . . and this you can achieve only by making things bigger and
more dangerous than they really are."

Petr Chylek
(Professor of Physics and Atmospheric Science, Dalhousie University,
Halifax, Nova Scotia)
Commenting on reports by other researchers that Greenland's glaciers
are melting.
(Halifax Chronicle-Herald, August 22, 2001) (8)
---
regardless,
I agree humans need to be better to the earth,
bret