Re: First audio recordings (samples posted). Also, trials and trib=

Subject: Re: First audio recordings (samples posted). Also, trials and trib=
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:34:45 -0700
ulations of a novice, getting to this point

John Piekos wrote:

>I've got a few recordings (finally).  The only one I'm really
>"proud" of is that while recording swamp sounds (mainly frogs) one
>evening, I saw motion in the swamp water.  This creature turned out
>to be a beaver who promptly wacked its tail on the water (like a
>cannonball).  I caught the moment on audio.  You can listen to it at
>www.johnpiekos.com/sounds.

That was great, thanks for sharing. If you type "http://"; before the
URL in your message my software will recognize it as a link and I
will be able to just click on it to go there.

There's bad noise on the right channel, like a motor running. Sounds
like it might be a ground connection problem either in the recording
or the transfer.

>If anyone has any Adobe Audition editing suggestions to clean this
>snippet up, I'd appreciate it.  I'm new to this stuff, but I did run
>some of the canned noise reduction operations on these clips.

I think the noise needs to be fixed at the source.

>To start out, I bought a cheap MD player, a Sony MD Walkman, MZ-S1,
>that, according to Sony (I sent them email) can make personal
>recordings.  Approx $120, if I remember correctly.

That was a mistake, it has no mic input.

>I then decided to buy a decent microphone.  I purchased a decent
>stereo microphone.  From a link I found on this list, I bought a
>stereo mic from The Sound Professionals for about $175.
>
>Once I had the microphone, I tried to make recordings.  No such
>luck, nothing was recorded.  The Sound Professionals informed me
>that I needed a power source as I was using "line in".  $60 later I
>had a compact powersource with a level adjustment switch.

I hope what you got was a preamp, not just a power box. What model?

>Could not find right battery at local stores (Radio Shack) so had to
>put my 3rd Sound Professionals order in ($15).

That's weird, what battery are they using?

>Finally, I tried recording waves again on my next visit to the
>Vineyard, but it was very windy and I have tons of wind noises that
>I have been unable to edit out at this point.  See
>www.johnpiekos.com/sounds for the clip.

Windscreens are very important for field work. You can make your own.

-Dan Dugan