Re: My Audio Buddy problem.

Subject: Re: My Audio Buddy problem.
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:17:00 -0500
Hi Bill-  This is probably not the answer you hoped for.  AC power is
used with a number of these mic pres apparently because the circuitry
is simpler for realizing the necessary 48 volts for phantom power. We
did get an Audio Buddy to run some phantom power mics using 4X 9volt
DC batteries for mics with lower phantom power requirements like the
NT-1A's and MKH's (2-3ma if I recall).  The CAD 179's have high
current pull as condenser mics go, ~8ma. You might be able to make a
larger, more powerful battery pack but its going to be expensive
battery-cost-wise and bulky because you need at least 36 volts (2X
18-22 volts). Email me directly if you want the DC modification
wiring diagram we used.  Our next approach was to see if we could
modify a DC to AC inverter to kick out  the low voltage AC increasing
efficiency and lessening the chance of interference. That  project is
still on the bench.  You can make a  pretty hefty 12 volt DC battery
pack and try one of the cheap, half-wave $30, DC-AC inverters.
Sometimes there's no interference-- other times, its impossible to
get rid of. The Audio Buddy is pretty susceptible to interference.
Cheap, low noise DC powered mic pres with adequate phantom power are
hard to find.  I run a Symetrix SX202 that I bought on eBay for $150
on a dc-ac inverter and it usually works without interference if I
place  the pre a cables a ways from the inverter.  It may be one of
the quietest mic pres for the bucks.  Full wave inverters have less
interference, but they're still not perfect and they're about 4-5X
more in cost.  Sorry if our modest success  using 4X9 volts with the
Audio Buddy and NT1A's misled you.  Best, Rob D.