Re: Cataloging a species?

Subject: Re: Cataloging a species?
From: "Dave J" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:10:18 -0000
--- Walter Knapp <> wrote:
> From: "Dave J" <>
> >
> > I was just noting the curious little mewing
> > sound the gray squirrels are making now.
> > Does a proper naturalist collect all the
> > different sounds produced by a particular
> > species and then attempt to explain where
> > each one fits into the lifecycle of that
> > particular animal? I'm sure there may also
> > be regional variations to complicate the
> > situation for many species?
>
> One can do that. Look up the subject of animal
> ethology, which is where such studies fit. Normally
> you combine lots of observation of behavior with
> the call recording. The call is connected with a
> behavior.

> I know there was nothing in my animal ethology
> course on gray squirrel behavior. Don't know if
> in all the intervening years anything has been
> published.
>
> I'm slowly working through doing that for the frog
> species down here.
>
> Walt

Thanks Walt, I will do some searches on ethology. For
bird calls it seems you would have to build quite a
collection for some species. Just yesterday I heard a
Blue jay making a sound I don't remember hearing before,
and I did not have my recorder handy.

Thanks also Steve. I do not yet have proper recordings
of the gray squirrels but if there are online collections
where squirrel sounds are already well documented I would
be curious to know about them. Thanks.

Dave