Re: Sennheiser digital wireless

Subject: Re: Sennheiser digital wireless
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 11:38:10 -0400
From: Dan Dugan <>

>>1 bit systems operate in the 3 MHz sampling rate range, not 44.1 kHz.
>

> A scheme by Sony to get everybody (including studios) to buy new
> equipment. For no benefit whatsoever except to Sony. Sounds the same
> as good PCM (conventional digital).

In this case we are talking about a technology designed by X-wave, and
then bought by Sennheiser. They changed the parameters slightly, but not
the fundamentals. I kind of doubt there is anything Sony in it. I've
certainly seen the 1bit oversampling A/D's in a lot more than just Sony
equipment.

According to Pohlmann, the 1bit oversampling A/D's were invented to get
around the inherent noise in the analog filtering used in regular A/D's.

Of course it could be that the analog filtering is good enough. And we
are just satisfying those who do technical analysis instead of
listening. Won't be the first time. In fact, all too common.