Re: Mac OS "spotlight" indexes metadata

Subject: Re: Mac OS "spotlight" indexes metadata
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:51:25 -0400
Jeremiah:

What Filemaker-based software are you involved in developing? I know about
mTools, but are there any other sound management software packages available
that tie in with Filemaker?

Lang

A friend was just at apple's WWDC conference here in SF where the
spotlight feature was announced.  Apparently the plan is to use a
SQL-based database to contain the indexing, i.e. much faster and more
efficient than Sherlock's content indexing.  (however, walt is right
about the concept, and I'm sure there will be indexing.  Supposedly
controllable, and ostensibly more efficient than the big flat file
sherlock used.)

I, for one, am excited about the possibilities.  I hope it's possible
to read and write the metadata from the OS, via scripting or
whatever.  In my line of work, it's *very* useful to attatch metadata
directly to files, since the files get copied and moved and
reorganized and even haphazardly renamed all the time as they flow
through projects.  Storing the metadata in the file assures that you
know what's what in a way that an external database can't.

I also use (and am the developer of) a filemaker-based database for
searching, retrieval, conversion and project tracking of sound
assets.  In this case the metadata is stored in the DB, and the files
are not moved or renamed etc.

Spotlight could be cool if it's done right.  That remains to be seen.

-jeremiah