Re: Mystery Call - Georgia

Subject: Re: Mystery Call - Georgia
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:07:26 -0400
From: Lang Elliott <>

> Walt:
>
> That's a typical screech from an immature Barred Owl. These are loosely
> considered to be "begging calls" or "locations calls" given to inform the
> parents as to the whereabouts of the young. They often call more excitedly
> when a parents comes in to feed them.

Certainly sounds possible, the area is full of Barred Owls, in fact two
adults were calling far away toward the uplands from there about a half
hour before. None calling in the immediate area.

This one differs from what you have in Stokes in that it's got a rising
inflection at the end, in every call. And it's periodic every 12-15
seconds, no variation in timing. A much more organized calling than yours.

And these were definitely at ground level. One, in fact was in a grassy
muddy wet area down in the old river channel that also contained calling
green treefrogs. Though too far away and too dark to spot. There were at
least three, in entirely different directions from me. The one I
recorded was the closest, directly across the swamp filled channel on
the dry land beyond. One did give a single short call series while
moving, same call shortened and at very close intervals. I suppose a
adult could have set that off, but it certainly gave no call.

First time I've run into this call, though the adults are common in the
woods swamps down here.