another mystery call ID please

Subject: another mystery call ID please
From: Meena Haribal <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:09:39 -0400
Hi sound recordists,

  I have been hearing this call since last three or four days at night from
my bedroom in Ithaca New York. I heard it today morning at 2.00 AM too. To
me it sounds like a young owl begging for food. Yesterday night, I also
heard Great Horned baby calling for food, but it was coming from Six Miles
creek in Ithaca, but this bird is probably is in one of my Spruces (at
least it sounds like as if it is coming from there). Today I recorded it in
the morning at 3.00 am from my bedroom, I did go out to get a better
recording but it stopped calling and it was cold outside, so after five
minutes waiting, I came into the house. Again it started calling.  This
call is very different from the one I heard across Six Miles creek.  I
think once yesterday heard a single hoo at one time.  So I am not sure what
this bird is. Young screech owl?  Young Long-eared Owl? Or any other mammal?

http://www.geocities.com/asiootusloe/mystrynightcall2.mp3

Cornell Lab Of Ornithology
Phone: 607-254-2148, 607-254-4958
Fax: 607-254-2415, 607-254-2104