Common Urban midwest summer night caller

Subject: Common Urban midwest summer night caller
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:42:47 -0500
http://www.advancenet.net/~feldman/20040721_03_nightcalls_10.mp3

I should know what making this rythmic call ... I've heard them forever
on summer nights, but I guess it's always been dark.  Just an hour ago
I heard one in a sapling tree and I looked around with a flashlight
trying to find the singer.  It kept singing as I circled the tree for
several seconds, and finally muted when I got in close.

The recording is pretty crappy ... it was a test run with a gift '70s
vintage JVC consumer stereo electret mic into my last legs TCD-D8.  But
the caller in question can be heard doing a "ch ch ... ch ch ch".

I really like it when a bunch of these singers get going in staggered
timing.  Heard a pair a couple of nights ago that were a half step
apart in pitch and doing call/response triplets.  Sometimes I hear
doublets and quadruplets, and there can be large choruses going.  So
help a night nature ingnoramus out and tell me what's making that call.

-- Mike Feldman